Saturday, November 21, 2015

Shades of Love

There is something unique with the place where you were born and where you have spent the early years of your life. You feel rooted into it. That thirst of our origins is quenched only when you are there. One feels at ease, at home. And these were the exact feelings which surfaced as I was en route home on a bus from Delhi. As was the case last time, as is the case every time. Of course, with the cosmopolitan life of 21st century, we move quite often into newer homes, but they rather are houses. Home remains one.

As I reached the city, my mother was there to take me home. She has recently learned how to drive and there is no doubt that i am super proud of her for doing that but it becomes difficult when she insists on driving when I am around. But you have to take those chances you know, she's your mother for God's sake. As we eventually reached home, my pulse came down to normal.  We had some important work for which I was there and we got started on that as soon as we could. In the evening hours when my mother was out for some work, I was alone back home. Well not actually, our pet parrot was with me.

Since my mother is all alone at home usually as we both kids study in Delhi, we thought it would be a good idea to get a pet. And since my mother loves birds even more than us, a parrot was the obvious choice. And so we got one. He doesn't speak much though but surely reacts to our gestures. He loves peanuts like mad and that's the only thing we can put as bait to get him out of his cage. Surprisingly he loves his cage too much and rarely comes out even when we open that cute little door. So as I sat next to him watching over, I felt bad. I personally never liked the idea of having pets. I think it restrains them. Especially birds. I mean they have got wings for crying out loud. And bloody hell they are meant to fly not to spread them inside a stupid cavity for the sake of our enjoyment.

At least I could let him fly inside the room, I thought. I tried a zillion ways to get that lazy ass out of that cage but he won't budge. And then the eureka moment, peanuts! As i laid a trail of peanuts out, that greedy birdie fell for that. He was out in the open and that was a huge room that offered him the opportunity of a reasonably long flight which he was perhaps not interested to take. Was he always inside a cage and never realized his potential to fly. I wondered.  To my surprise, I suddenly realized the window was open. But then looking at this lethargic little creature, I thought there isn't any point in closing it. Suddenly a couple of birds came and sat outside that window. It was almost as if they were mocking that poor guy inside. My parrot looked at them feeling confused but then he suddenly  looked away and started his way back to his cage.

I decided to give a final attempt. I instigated him with this wooden stick. And them some more. And then the unthinkable happened. He turned around, flew effortlessly and out of the window. He was gone. I tried to search him in the near vicinity of our house but only in vain. And then I felt happy that finally he was free. He was now in a place where he actually belonged. He had the whole sky to his disposal. He could perhaps meet another lady parrot and have a family. Looking at all these possibilities and staring at that skyline, I smiled.

As I turned back to go inside, a weird thought came to my mind. That poor parrot has never been outside his entire life. Will he be able to find food? Where will he find his favorite peanuts? What if he is unable to fly for long? That devilish cat that roams around, what if he falls prey to her? What if he wants to come back and could not find the way back? My smile transformed into worry as I pondered over all these questions. He has been with us for so long, of course I was scared for him.

As I again turned back and looked at the sky, I felt amused at these different shades of love. You want your beloved to be free but you also want your beloved safe in your embrace. Amidst this catch 22 situation, I only wish he gets his peanuts, where ever he is.

No comments: