Friday, August 12, 2016

The Intruder

I had no idea where I was going. There was water everywhere. And by everywhere I mean everywhere. To the extreme limits of my vision, I could only see water. It was dark and it was raining. Yes, these floods are an annual affair in this part of the country but believe you me, it’s equally horrifying and cruel every time. Don’t just assume that since we are so used to these floods, we don’t mind them. As a matter of fact, it appalling. We are forced to leave our home. We go without food for several days. It’s worse for the kids. Some just get lost in the strong currents of the river.

That night I remember vividly, it was raining like hell. But it was not the rains that wrecked a havoc, the waters of the river rose suddenly and flooded the entire region. I had heard them talking several times, they say it is because of some breech in the embankment. I do not understand all these terms. Whatever they say, it’s all gibberish to me. I, and my fellow inhabitants, have this one rule. When the water comes, run towards the highlands. And comeback when it recedes.

But this time, the rains were much more cruel. The flood water was devilish. It won’t just stop. It kept crawling towards us. Our highlands were also soon to be compromised. We ran further North. I didn’t stop even to catch my breath. I ran and ran. Galloped in fact. I wanted to go as far as I can.  I had these hallucinations of vast dry lands some distance away. I didn’t stop the whole night. But when the dawn broke, I realized that I was in an altogether different world. It was their world. And I was all alone.

I remember coming here many years ago but then it was just like home. But today it felt like some other planet. They had built so much. But no one was to be seen. It was weird, like an abandoned place. But then as light grew stronger and brighter, I could feel the increasing activity. There were voices and there was movement. To tell you the truth, I was scared and I had no idea how to go back. These structures were everywhere ambushing me. So, I decided to stay put. But suddenly one of them came from behind and I had no idea what to do. And so I charged. That’s the only thing I know. That’s what we do, can’t help it.

It ran away screaming at the top of its voice “Intruder, Intruder!”, alerting others of its kind. Soon there was a lot of hue and cry. There were sirens. There were huge vehicles stationed in the entire perimeter. They were looking for me, I saw them through the bushes. They had those weapons with them. The same ones they brought with them to my home. I had nowhere to go. I was stuck between the devil and the sea. They didn’t do a thing the whole day. Perhaps they also prefer the dark to do the hunt, just like me. Sometime after dusk, the whole place lit up. Crackers were fired to get me going. And then came the Elephants.

Then I saw that weapon which has these long bullets with feathery end. I thought of running to the other side, but I was ambushed. And when I turned back the bullet was already on its way. My eyes widened as much as they could and before I could react, it had hit me. Then there were sounds of rejoice and the voices shouted, “Intruder down, intruder down!”.

As soon as I was hit, I felt drowsy. The toxic juices were spreading fast and I realized I only had some minutes of consciousness left. The cheering doubled and tripled. The celebration started as the “Beast” was finally tamed. As I closed my eyes in those final seconds, I just wanted to tell them something. That I am no beast, that I am no intruder. I had no other way. I thought the forests were endless. At least, once they were. I am just a Bengal Tiger, like they named me. I am no intruder.

I was just lost, like they are.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Only if we were a little kind towards these lost souls! :(