Saturday, April 27, 2019

Finish the race

On your mark, get, set, go. The 800 m boys race had started during the Inter school athletic meet in Williamnagar. Meanwhile some runners sweated hard for glory, some already gave up in between and stopped. Observing from the stands, I found myself tele-ported to my schooldays. Back then, I wasn't that good with sports, though I used to participate in everything.
Once I told my father about the forthcoming race and how I did not stand a chance for podium finish. He smiled, perhaps at my misplaced ambitions and disillusioned priorities, and with a hand on my shoulder, said "Just don't give up half way, finish the race, and I will be proud". That commandment went beyond the race and became a beacon for life. If only these boys were told the same before.

No comments: