Friday, June 27, 2008

Breakfast at tiffany's


It was the champions league final.It was raining in Moscow.We were in the tunnel ready to crush Barcelona for the 7th consecutive title.We ( read KFC ( read Katni Football Club)) were the favorites. The MESSI-merizing Barca was shaking already.Perhaps they were scared of a shameful beating.Henry was standing next to me.He gave me that not-this-time-dude look and i just wanted to give him the finger.But hey, we are gentlemen by choice.Yo RP!.The referee whistled and the game was on.We created numerous chances but unfortunately found the woodwork every time.We were into the last minutes of the game.Becks gave a near-perfect pass.I headed it past the goalie.Score! Just when i was about to make a choice between different celebration patterns that i practiced last night, I woke up.Damn it! Does it always have to end before the celebrations ? Huh !

Anyway, today i was supposed to go for breakfast with Ivy.Actually calling it a breakfast won't justify the quantity of weird Chinese food I had that morning.It was more of a brunch. She was 26, a malasian and most importantly knew English.She was the first person i talked to on that island.She was the official mentor assigned to me when i went there.It was just a one day thing but was enough to make us good friends.After that i didn't see her for almost a month and then Jab we met at this dragon-boat festival thing the university had organized for the international students.,she helped me to make that thing that i was supposed to.In my two months of stay,I came across various aspects of the Chinese culture.I am not saying I totally get it but one thing is for sure, everything makes so much sense. To elaborate, in India people do religious things just because they have to, not knowing whats exactly happening? Or what the verses actually mean ? I am not even sure if the Pundits that perform the Puja's know a thing about it. I have always believed in doing things that I believe in. And I felt the same with the rituals and festivals these tiny little people with small eyes have.



Oh..sorry ! got a little carried away.So, it was raining that morning.I was really excited about going out with Ivy as all what i had done for almost a month was to fluctuate between the Lab and my room.I seldom talked to people.Not because I did not want to, but because of the fact that they spoke only in Chinese.So it was just me, my professor and the cute little aliens.Ergo going out to eat with someone who knew English was a bliss.And also the thing that she was really very beautiful.I was waiting outside the dorm with a jumbo Chinese umbrella and there she was all smiling and praising the weather.Then she took me to this not-very-big but wonderful place which was very popular in the locality.I will call it Tiffany. The actual name was really long and had like a zillion syllables.

We ordered food. Lots of it.There was this milk which was made by some beans, lots of fried chicken and other stuff which I fantasized of pursuing only in case of a holocaust.But it was very delicious.Ivy on the other side of the table, was more interested in India. She said she would love to go to India and witness an Indian Wedding. She wants to see the Taj Mahal. She loves Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya.She wanted to know why do Indian women have a red mark between their eye-brows. I answered all her queries and told her my perspective. After an hour long talk, we still had some food left. We talked about her family in Indonesia, her studies , her dreams,my studies, my dreams and blah blah. I never talked to a girl to this length. Maybe it was the loneliness.Maybe her simplicity.Maybe the attention that one deserves. Finally, we were done with the food. She introduced me to the owner and told him that i was from India and it was my first time at their food place. He greeted me and so did I.Then he said we don't have to pay as it was my first time( so nice of him ! ) but then we insisted and he gave a huge discount.This was it. I had to go back to that hole where some weird sounds prevail which don't make any sense to me.Huh ! But with a promise that we meet again sometime. Thanks for your time, Ivy !


P.S. Wrote it long back !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey....it's me.......so touching to read it....really...!!
I never forget you, a nice friend from India^^