Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Pride Puller

Delhi is flooded with people. They all look the same from a distance. But it's only when you decide to be a part of it, you get to see the different ones. Those who might not be as fortunate as you are, but surely there is something about them which makes you feel low in spite of having everything.

Usually I prefer to walk over other alternatives of locomotion Specially when the place I am going is not far.But that day, I was a little weak in my knees and ergo decided to take a rickshaw. The city has abundance of every entity when it comes to people.And just when I showed signs of wanting a rickshaw, they sprouted from each corner and crouched towards me like a predator. Amongst their annoying noises, my eyes where struck on the one at the far end.I moved towards him now realizing that he only has one arm.I asked him if he was willing to take me.He agreed and said," Dus rupaye lunga Sir...Isse kam nahi!".I smiled. I wouldn't have negotiated if he had even said fifty.On the way, i admired the way he controlled it in such traffic with one hand.I asked," Ek haath se handle karne me dikkat hota hoga aapko?".

"Aadat ho gya Sir.Upar wale ka yahi marzi tha.Bachpan se hi mera ek hi haath tha.Amma kehti thi ki mera ye ek hi haath kaafi hai sabke liye aur main has padta tha", he said.He was laughing and my eyes were wet."Main aisa tha iske liye mera baap mujhe road pe bhikh mangne ko bitha deta tha.Par apne ko nahi jama.Jab baap se lamba hua to main chod diya wo sab.Sala khud kamayenge mehnat ka, kuch bhi karke, par sala bhikh nahi mangne ka tha".

I simply had no words then.I wanted to do something for him.But could only think of giving some extra to what he said,"Apun kya bola tha Sir, bhikh nahi maagne ka tha".He took what he said earlier and returned the rest.He turned to leave.I stood there for a while watching him go.I stood there tamed by his pride.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

If you want to be respected by others the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you.. very nice post:)

lingadhar said...

You shud have taken his autograph..yes dude i mean it

sudhir said...

RIKSHEWALE KI KHUDDARI KO SALAM

sid said...

A true fighter I would say!! Respect comes out naturally for such people. What I like about the post is, I felt like I am standing there interacting with the one handed hero.

Most of the times, Life is stranger than fiction!!

Genie said...

@Aku Yaar tunne to mere dil di gal das di ji :D

@Lingadhar hmmm true!

@Atoba - Nice comment :)

@Sid da Indeed !

Whats in a name.......... said...

My eyes are moist. It is men like him who deserve awards. :)

Genie said...

@Mariya

Yeah...Special recognition/awards to these people would mean so much....But sadly we just can't move past filmfare and stardust!

and btw Mariya ... Long time!

ranu said...

wonderful post....felt lik a movie infront of my eyes.

Unknown said...

dont hv word after reading ds.. we are seriously cribbing for wht we dont hv inspite of having so much around us.
bt truely frm heart hats off to tht man.. great post Swapnil..:)

highl4nd3r said...

The faceless millions of our country.. Nicely done mate..

Unknown said...

I feel proud of such people, u r lucky u had opportunity to meet such a guy.....We learn many lessons from other people's life.

Unknown said...

great post. A simple incident described in a heart touching way. And rickshaw wale ka kya kehna.. respect!

yanmaneee said...

golden goose outlet
vapormax
christian louboutin shoes
adidas yeezy
curry shoes
kd 11 shoes
jordan retro
air max 90
kd 10
christian louboutin shoes