Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Seed is Strong

Along the serene Hazara pond in Tezpur, we have this huge playground on one side and some government buildings on the other. In one such building, you have the Nehru Yuva Kendra. Though the building is old and dilapidated, the young volunteers make that fact almost irrelevant.
We had a good interactive session where several of them raised their concerns, desires and ambitions. But this one girl sitting in the front row, I knew she had something in mind but was hesitant. At last, she spoke,"I want to join the Army. But my folks tell me that's not for girls. I want to be independent, travel to places but they don't approve. I want to...".
She went on for quite a length and rightly so given the historic gender bias still oozing out from the uninitiated generations. I quoted Gandhiji as an answer to her passionate query and you exactly know which quote I am talking about. I am happy that even in the rural areas the young are raising these questions and defying the archaic biases. Surely we are moving towards a gender neutral world. The seed is strong.

3 comments:

Vibha said...

People said that mechanical is not for girls but i chose it.My wonderful experience is filled with the memories of steam power plant, railways locomotive , hybrid car,crafted beer plant.....now a days mostly associated with projects like rice planting machine ,multi purpose power generater, bottle crushing machine......but i can remember that once i was rejected by a company because they did not have saperate ladies toilet coz none of female had worked there ever.

Vibha said...

One more thing i want to add that if i am associated with male dominating field then there was always a situation of absence of females but all the males whom i met throughout my journy of college ,training and work, they were all very friendly and cooperative.Everytime, liberation of women is not possible without the helping hands of males.we alwats have Raja Ram Mohan Roy and Jyotiba Fule.

Vibha said...

@always