Thursday, October 18, 2018

Simply be there

"I want to do graduation in Arts and study further but my parents want me to become a doctor. What should I do?", she finally managed to voice her concern. It is a quite a challenge to get students to open up in these rural areas. They have become like one-way receivers of data. I profusely emphasized on the relevance of communication during the talk. Some more students opened up on how their parents had divergent views about career.
It's sad to see that parents still see children as a mode of realizing their own unrequited ambitions. Let the child find her\his own El Dorado. Simply be there, for the support. "Perhaps we need a counselling session for all your parents too!", I concluded. A wave of laughter broke out in affirmation.

No comments: