Thursday, October 18, 2018

You deserve the moon

Her eyes delightfully vibrant,
always searching something.
Her smile, enchanting,
elixir for everything.

A reflection, she was,
of her mother.
Little bundle of joy,
meant the world, to me.


She was 2, when she left,
tumor, they said.
We fought, we cried, we prayed.
Alas, fragile mortality won.

At the funeral, I stood frozen,
her little bracelet in my hand.
They lowered her, into the soil,
Our tears, went along.

It was her precious,
that white bracelet.
But I couldn't let go.
She deserved better.

For years, kept it close,
or perhaps, it kept me going,
can't really tell.
Eve of Apollo 11, they asked,
What would I take there?
I had always known.

Giant step for mankind,
truly magical moment.
I looked at the Earth,
where my girl rested.
I lowered that bracelet,
into a crater, O'my love,
you deserve the moon.


[It is believed that when Neil Armstrong went to the moon, he carried a bracelet of his daughter and left it there. She had died at a very young age. The whole episode had left an eternal vacuum in his life. The same has been portrayed excellently in the movie First Man. Yours truly was touched by the rendition]

2 comments:

Mr. India said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deepak Singh Rathore said...

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the movie, should check out ��
That's a sweet poem ��