Monday, January 2, 2017

The Olympic Lane

After a long and tiring day at work, I felt that I needed to get high. And there is only one thing that gives me that, the Runner's High. Within seconds, all suited up with my running shoes and powered by Eminem numbers, I hit the road. After some time, I was sprinting on this broad lane opposite the playground which apparently turns into this open air badminton arena during this hour.
All along the road, youngsters had created there own courts with their bikes as nets and their slippers forming the boundaries. It is not that for the first time I had seen people playing alongside the roads. But they were all so damn good. So much so that I stopped and watched them play. They had the temperament, the stamina, the technique and everything you can imagine for a professional player.
Meanwhile, this one kid, with super skills and uncanny energy reserves had everyone's attention. As he took a jump and positioned himself in the air, I bet we all skipped a heartbeat. A perfect smash which bulleted its way into the road. If only we could put all these youngsters into a proper court, I wondered. But unlike me the kid seemed unfazed with the makeshift setting and shouted with ecstasy as he won the point.
I wish one day he finds his way to the top of the sport. I wish they all do. Meanwhile, I sat there for another thriller of a match, under those bright streetlights, across the cozy pavement and amidst this unbelievable talent, on the Olympic Lane, or so it felt.

No comments: