Friday, April 20, 2018

Ki.ma

Sadolpara village always fascinates me. This place is among the few left where you can experience the traditional Garo Culture in its pristine form. Today amidst our inspection walks to monitor Fair Price Shops in the area, this ancient looking piece of art came across. A wooden sculpture of sorts, wrapped with cloths and a chiseled face on the top. A figurine of sorts. They call it "Ki.ma".
When I asked the owner of the house, what it was, his straight-face reply shook me a little, "My Mother", he said. He could have said "A statue of my mother" or "A remembrance" etc. But his reply and tone meant something deep. That the spirit is immortal. That the endearment is eternal. That even now, the mother watches over us all. And that the bonds cannot be at the mercy of our transient existence.

No comments: