Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Shades of Lachit Borphukan

Today Assam celebrates the birth anniversary of Lachit Borphukan, a celebrated military commander of the Assamese forces who defeated the crouching armies of the Mughals in the Battle of Saraighat. Today we remember his heroism and celebrate the spirit of patriotism. After paying tribute to his statue, one of the staff members was asked to say a few words on this occasion. His words are still resounding in my head provoking me to share it further. 

He said, "I would not tell you the story of Lachit Borphukon. You all know it or so I assume. But today we need that similar resolve, that similar aggressiveness and that similar heroism, to fight another enemy. The Mughals are long gone, the enemy today is Corruption, Procrastination and Bureaucratic Apathy. We all have little shades of Lachit Borphukan in us, lets bring them out, for good!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello sir
I spend few hours pondering over how to start my comment. I find it difficult to get the right word to pen my thoughts and feelings. Just I have gone through your posts on Assam and I am writing to you to let you know how much I appreciate your view towards the land of seven sisters.I myself is from Assam and thank you very much for introducing Assam in such a beautiful and glorious way. There are much more which will come in your way soon. Hope your thoughtfulness and positive approach will give Assam a new identity.
Regards
Angana Baruah