Tuesday, November 29, 2016

They have a soul

This Diwali, we were in Meghalaya for District Attachment. Among the several initiative by the administration, one that holds the key is the Basin Development which focuses on creating entrepreneurs and skill development. In the process we came across many success stories. They were producing lamps, candles and other handicraft items.

We thought it would be a good idea to buy their products and send them as gifts to our relatives and friends. Of course, the intention being to help them somehow. But on that festive night, when my mother sent me a picture of those hand made lamps and candles, something occurred to me. 

Yes, those were pretty beautiful. Maybe not as sophisticated and complex as created by mass manufactures and big industries. But still pretty damn beautiful. And the beauty is perhaps not in the aesthetics. They are much more than just commodities. Looking at them all bright and gorgeous, I recalled the smile of their maker who is now proud to earn bread for his family. I recalled the happiness with which he told me that now he can afford education for his children.

And ergo, I feel, and thou shall concur, these are no ordinary artifacts.They have a story, to tell. They, have a soul, of their own!

No comments: