Tuesday, November 29, 2016

This is where I belong

Years ago when I was working with Deloitte, some of my immediate seniors were soon to fly abroad to work for a fairly large period and with the possibility of settling there itself. The high standard of living, better opportunities and other perks were put on the table during our candid discussion. But when my turn came, expressing my disinterest to go out of India. I simply gave them this one phrase.

The other day, I was talking to this person who had to abandon his village as it is located in the low lying region and was flooded entirely. He along with his village folk had taken shelter in this relief camp. When the water receded, he was so eager to go back. When I asked him why not get relocated to some high lands, he gave that same phrase. 

This is where I was born. This is where I took my first steps. This is where I grew up. This is where I would like to be buried.

"This is where I belong!"

No comments: